Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Cheonggyesa

I tell people I live in Anyang, but I actually live in Uiwang which is much less known. Cheonggye Mountain and this temple are two of the biggest tourist attractions in Uiwang. It's pretty sad that I've lived here over a year and only just gotten out to see these. There's also a famous catholic church nearby as well as Baegun Lake. I met a couple people selling snacks on the way up the hill and had a few drinks despite it being 1PM on a Tuesday. I got a chance to practice my broken Korean and support a couple of locals.



I believe I read that the temple was originally built in the 13 century because temples became banned with in the city.



Unfortunately my battery died after a few shots, so I promised myself I would return. It's really a beautiful area that is lush with vegetation still very green along the Cheonggye stream banks.



To get there you take the yellow #10 Mall bus from Indeogwon station to the lower parking area and then walk up the road about 15 minutes. Or if you're really lazy you could just take a taxi all the way up the access road to the temple. A lot of people did that and then went hiking to the top of the mountain from there. In addition, there are some little restaurants and vendors along the access road.

No comments:

Post a Comment